Waffles with Raspberry & Chocolate Sauce
It was one of those funny moments. A couple weeks ago I was sitting in our kitchen, saying how much I would like to have some good waffles. What a pity that we don’t own a waffle iron. My flatmate looked at me weirdly. You do know that we have own, right? We’ve been making waffles for months.
So now I know. After two and a half years of living together with the same people and spending most of my time in the kitchen, I know now that I am a waffle iron owner. And since I had to catch up big times on waffle making, they have been served every week so far.
The waffles are plant-based and gluten-free, as they are made of oats, almonds and buckwheat flour. They have a taste of sweetness, however the real and rich sweetness comes with the toppings. Warm raspberry & chocolate sauce seemed like a very delicious choice. I am a big fan of combining fruit and chocolate, plus sprinkle it with coconut flakes and you can’t do wrong.
Waffles with Raspberry & Chocolate Sauce Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4-6 waffles
for the waffles
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 80g rolled oats
- 80g almonds
- 300ml plant milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (+extra for greasing)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp dried vanilla powder
- a pinch of salt
for the raspberry sauce
- 200g (frozen) raspberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
for the chocolate sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- In a food processor blend the almonds and rolled oats for about 15-30 seconds until they are of a flour consistency. In a big bowl mix all the ingredients for the waffle batter together and stir well.
- Turn on your waffle iron. Leave it at a rather low level, as the waffles might burn easily otherwise. Use a bit of coconut oil to grease the iron with. Add a couple tablespoons of the batter and close the lid. The waffles will need 2-3 minutes. Check on them regularly, open the lid carefully and use a fork to detach the waffle from the grid.
- Meanwhile heat up the (frozen) raspberries, lemon juice and maple syrup in a sauce pan on medium heat. Let it simmer for approx. 10 minutes until it’s all nicely combined.
- At last prepare the chocolate sauce. In another sauce pan heat up coconut oil, maple syrup and the raw cacao powder. Stir it until everything is melted and combined. Quickly take it off the stove.
- When your waffles and sauces are done, serve and enjoy them!