And while summer is slowly coming to an end and catching sunlight is becoming harder every day, I end up sitting on the couch at night with tea, a good book and… banana bread; lots of it. Banana bread has probably been the most baked food in my household those last weeks, much appreciated by my various flat mates. There is something very comforting about a freshly baked loaf of banana bread, topped with nut butter, homemade nutella or peach compote.
This banana bread is incredible delicious, moist and sweet and the best part: it’s gluten-free! I’ve experimented a lot with this bread and have found a good balance of whole grain flour and nuts. It’s a great snack for in between, though it can be eaten about any time of the day – as breakfast, dessert for lunch or dinner and as a snack. I try to always keep some at home. A great and constant struggle not to eat it all at once, very energy consuming indeed.
Gluten-free Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Servings: makes 1 loaf
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 100g almonds (or almond flour)
- 100g walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 apple (coarsely grated)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat your oven to 175°C.
- In a food processor blend the almonds for about 15-30 seconds until they are of a flour consistency. In a big bowl mix all the dry ingredients together expect for the walnuts.
- Use a fork or immersion blender to mash the very ripe bananas, grate the apple and mix it with the flour and spices. Add maple syrup/honey and the melted coconut oil.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts using your hands or a knife and add it to the mixture. Stir everything until it’s (relatively) even. If the mixture is too thick, add some plant milk.
- Use a loaf pan, grease it with coconut oil before pouring the mixture. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Time may vary depending on your oven. (Regularly check the bread after one hour of baking.) Take it out of the oven and leave it off to cool. Enjoy!