I love the sun, but I also enjoy watching it from a distance. As someone quite pale, I turn red instead of tan within seconds. So over the years, I learned to gracefully escape to the shades.
So that is what I did for most of this past weekend when the temperature rose up to 38°C. I stayed inside and did some baking. Raw baking. Using the freezer instead of the oven.
Peanut butter granola bars sprinkled with dark chocolate.
And when I finally stepped outside in the evenings, I had something cold and delicious I could bring my sun-kissed friends.
P.S.: I have a question for my American friends. Would you like me to include another weight unit of measurement (other than grams) and if so, which one? Thank you!
Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Servings: makes one big baking tray
400g rolled oats
40g sunflower seeds
80g pumpkin seeds
6 tbsp coconut oil
300g unsweetened peanut butter
100g dark chocolate (75% and up)
20g shredded coconut
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt
1. Mash the dates with a fork (or briefly blend them in a mixer) and put them into a big bowl with all the other ingredients – except for the dark chocolate. Mix it until everything sticks together. If they don’t stick, add some water to the dough. Alternatively, blend the ingredients in a food processor. The dough will be more fine and sticky.
2. Use your hands to spread the dough evenly in a pan or baking tray, lined with baking sheets.
3. Heat up the chocolate in a water bath and sprinkle it on the granola bar dough with a spoon. Put the dough in the freezer for at least half an hour, until the bars have hardened. Take them out and cut them into pieces.
4. The bars will last a couple months in the freezer and a week in the fridge. Enjoy!