Wild Rice Salad with Summer Vegetables
- Prep Time:
- Servings: 4
200g whole brown rice
100g black rice
2 zucchinis (alternatively, eggplants)
2 bell peppers
250g cherry tomatoes
2 red onions
150g feta cheese (optional)
½ tsp seasalt
4 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tsp lemon juice
2 handful parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F).
2. In a pot, bring 900ml (3¾ cups) water to boil and add the brown rice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the black rice and simmer for another 25-30 minutes. (Alternatively, cook the rice according to packaging instructions).
3. While the rice cooks, cut the vegetables and mix them in a big bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp sea salt and mix well until all vegetables are coated in oil and salt. Line a baking tray with baking paper, place the vegetables on it, and put it in the oven. Roast for about 25 minutes, tossing the vegetables carefully after every 10 minutes of roasting.
4. Cut the onions into rings. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the onion rings and let them sauté for a good 5 minutes.
5. In another pan, heat the sunflower seeds on medium heat, until they turn gold brown and start to smell.
6. Chop the parsley. Optional: dice the feta cheese.
7. Mix the cooked rice, oven roasted vegetables, onion rings, parsley, (feta cheese) and lemon juice in a big bowl. Add the sunflower seeds on top, garnish with some extra parsley and serve.