I love the sun, but I also enjoy watching it from a distance. As someone quite pale, I turn red instead of tan within seconds. So over the years, I learned to gracefully escape to the shades.
So that is what I did for most of this past weekend when the temperature rose up to 38°C. I stayed inside and did some baking. Raw baking. Using the freezer instead of the oven.
Peanut butter granola bars sprinkled with dark chocolate.
And when I finally stepped outside in the evenings, I had something cold and delicious I could bring my sun-kissed friends.
P.S.: I have a question for my American friends. Would you like me to include another weight unit of measurement (other than grams) and if so, which one? Thank you!
Peanut Butter Granola Bars Recipe
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Servings: makes one big baking tray
400g rolled oats
40g sunflower seeds
80g pumpkin seeds
6 tbsp coconut oil
300g unsweetened peanut butter
100g dark chocolate (75% and up)
20g shredded coconut
2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt
1. Mash the dates with a fork (or briefly blend them in a mixer) and put them into a big bowl with all the other ingredients – except for the dark chocolate. Mix it until everything sticks together. If they don’t stick, add some water to the dough. Alternatively, blend the ingredients in a food processor. The dough will be more fine and sticky.
2. Use your hands to spread the dough evenly in a pan or baking tray, lined with baking sheets.
3. Heat up the chocolate in a water bath and sprinkle it on the granola bar dough with a spoon. Put the dough in the freezer for at least half an hour, until the bars have hardened. Take them out and cut them into pieces.
4. The bars will last a couple months in the freezer and a week in the fridge. Enjoy!