You’ll know it’s winter time when my oven gets only very little rest. Baked oat crumble for breakfast, cookies and little cakes for dessert and lots of roasted vegetables for lunch and dinner.
If you follow me on Instagram you will know about my love for colourful salads. When it’s cold and windy outside, however, I crave for something warm; cooked or baked. I trade raw vegetables for roasted ones – sweet potato, carrots, aubergine, sweet pepper, zucchini – pretty much everything works.
For me, this salad is winter. Most people will not like the idea of brussels sprouts in their salads and neither have I for a long time. Growing up, I’ve always dreaded them, never had more than three on my plate. But when you roast them, instead of cooking them in water, they become extremely delicious, slightly crispy and flavourful. Along with carrot fries, sweet oranges and a handful of spices, it becomes a very tasty, wintery salad.
Also, something very exciting has happened last month. While I was recently spending a week in London, I got to visit Jamie Oliver’s headquarters and was invited by FoodTube to film in their amazing kitchen. It was quite a surreal moment! One video we filmed is now up on my Youtube Account – a healthy & vegan Pumpkin Pie!
Wintery Brussels Sprout & Orange Salad with Carrot Fries Recipe
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 2
- 350g brussels sprouts
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 aubergine (eggplant)
- 2-3 handful of leafy greens
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and cover a baking tray with baking paper.
- Wash the brussels sprouts, remove the outer layer of leaves and cut them in half.
- Slice the carrots in long, thin pieces. Cut those in half to make them the shape of fries. Slice the aubergine (eggplant) lengthwise.
- In a bowl prepare the olive oil dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon juice and spices together. One after another add the ingredients, giving them a quick whisk in the olive oil dressing.
- Place the olive oil dipped vegetables on the baking paper and let them roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, checking from time to time.
- Meanwhile wash the leafy greens and peel and slice the orange.
- When the oven roasted vegetables have turned slightly brown, take them out and arrange the ingredients on a plate or bowl. Enjoy!